Chemical Dependency Counseling
The Chemical Dependency Counseling option is a program of study for attaining an Associate’s of Arts degree in Human Services. In this program, students will complete all academic requirements necessary to complete the Montana exam for certification as a Licensed Addiction Counselor. Students will receive assistance as they complete their required supervised addiction counseling fieldwork, as well as receive assistance in preparing for the certification examination, as needed.
- Conduct interviewing, assessments, evaluations, treatment planning, therapy, and follow-up procedures.
- Identify, comprehend, and synthesize social science academic research from original sources and demonstrate this capacity through written and oral works.
- Deliver oral presentations and compose written compositions about issues of concern in their community in terms of identification, cause, prevention, remediation, and stabilization.
- Apply knowledge of key theories and chemical dependency counseling techniques in supervised internship and course work.
- Be prepared to demonstrate their knowledge and skills by passing the state of Montana exam for certification as a Licensed Addiction Counselor.
***After degree/coursework completion, students must complete 1000 hours of supervised fieldwork in addition to passing the certification examination before becoming licensed (subject to change by the State of Montana).
Your content goes here. Edit or remove this text inline or in the module Content settings. You can also style every aspect of this content in the module Design settings and even apply custom CSS to this text in the module Advanced settings.
Chemical Dependency Counseling: Fall Semester (First Year)
|AIS 150/155||Nakoda/Aaniiih Lang I||3|
|CAS 242||Fund of Subst Abuse & Addiction||3|
|CAS 243**||Substance Abuse Counseling I||3|
|GS 110||Finding Place||1|
|PSYX 100||Introduction to Psychology||3|
|WRIT 101||College Writing I||3|
Chemical Dependency Counseling: Spring Semester (First Year)
|AIS 100||Introduction to AIS||3|
|CAS 248**||Substance Abuse Counseling II||3|
|PSYX 240||Abnormal Psychology||3|
|WRIT II||College Writing II||3|
Chemical Dependency Counseling: Summer Semester (First Year)
|CAS 191||Spec Topics in AI Healing Practices||1|
|CAS 254||Co-occurring Disorders||2|
|CAS 265||Multicultural Competency & Ethics||1|
Chemical Dependency Counseling: Fall Semester (Second Year)
|CAS 250**||American Indian Studies||3|
|CAS 260**||Nakoda/Aaniiih Lang I||4|
|COMX 111||Finding Place||3|
|HMS 205||Humanities or Fine Art||3|
|M 121||College Writing I||4|
Chemical Dependency Counseling: Spring Semester (Second Year)
|CAS 225**||Group Couns in Subst Abuse Treat||3|
|CAS 231**||Pharmacology of Addictions||2|
|CAS 252**||Gambling & Gaming Disorders||2|
|CAS 266||Legal Ethical Prof Issues in CDC||3|
|CAS 295||Supervised Internship||1|
Chemical Dependency Counseling: On Demand/Optional
|CAS 294||Licensing Exam Prep Workshop||1|
** These courses are offered every other academic year or every other summer.
*** A criminal background check is required for licensure.